- Soy Sauce 3/4 Cup
- Water 4 Litres
- Whole Duck (Cavity Cleaned) 2-2.5kg
- Honey 1/2 Cup
- Hoisin Sauce 2 Tbsp
- Chinese five spice 1 tsp
- Salt 1 Tsp
- Pepper 1/2 Tsp
This duck has a sticky coating that compliments the rich tasting meat.
Prepare the duck
- Pre-heat an oven to 190°c or 180°c Fan Forced
- Clean the cavity of the bird, remove neck and pat dry
- Score the skin diagonally
- Fill a large stock pot with the water and 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- Bring to the boil
- Submerge the duck and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the duck, set aside and allow to cool. (Putting the duck in the boiling water tightens the skin and brings the fat to the surface for basting)
- Pat the duck dry, rub with salt and arrange on a roasting rack inside a deep roasting pan
- Cook the duck for 60 minutes breast side up.
- At the 60 minute mark, turn the duck to breast facing down, cook for another 45 minutes.
- While the duck is cooking, add the honey, remaining soy sauce, five spice and pepper to a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, while continually stirring. Cook for approx. 3 minutes, until well combined. Set aside.
- After the 45 minute mark. Remove duck from the oven, and glaze each side with the syrup.
- Return to the oven, breast side up and cook for a further 20 minutes on each side.
- Remove duck and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Serves with Asian greens or your favorite roast vegetables