- Whole Chicken 1 Whole (1.5 - 2kg)
- Water 6 Litres
- Potatoes 500g
- Celery 2 Stalks
- Leek 1 Whole
- Carrot 2 Whole
- Brown Onion 2 Whole
- Garlic Cloves 4 Whole
- Salt 1 Tbsp
- Ground Black Pepper 2 Tsp
- Fresh Herbs (Your Choice) Parsley, Thyme, Sage, Rosemary, Oregano, Basil (2 Handfuls)
- Lemon Juice 2 Tsp
- Plain Gluten Free Flour 2 Cups
- Butter 50g
- Milk 3/4 Cup
- Baking Powder (Gluten Free) 1 Tsp
- Parmesan Cheese (Grated) 2 Tbsp (Optional)
Make the Stew
- Add the whole chicken to a large stock pot with the water
- Bring to the boil, then allow to simmer with the lid on for 1 hour
- While Chicken is boiling, mince the garlic and herbs in a food processor and chop the vegetables into bite size pieces.
- When Chicken is cooked, remove from pot and set aside to cool
- Remove any residue from the water using a handheld strainer.
- Leave water on heat, and add 3/4 of the minced herbs & garlic. Stir through.
- Add the chopped vegetables, salt, pepper, & lemon juice and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°c
- Meanwhile, cut the meat off the chicken, discarding the carcass.
- Add the chicken to the vegetables and keep simmering for a further 10 minutes.
Prepare the dumplings
- Chop the butter and add to a large bowl
- Put the flour & baking powder in with the butter, and begin to rub through with your fingers.
- The mixture should resemble breadcrumbs, when combined.
- Add the herb/ garlic mixture with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Add the milk and parmesan cheese (if using) and knead with hands until a dough is formed.
- Roll into 12 balls.
Bake Stew in Oven
- Transfer the stew mix to an oven proof casserole dish (if the pot is not oven proof)
- Add the dumplings to the stew so they are just submerged in water, but halfway sticking out the top
- Put casserole dish in oven for 30 minutes, covered with foil or a lid
- After 30 minutes, remove cover, and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Serve Hot.
If your diet permits, you can use plain flour that is not gluten free.