- Cinnamon Quills 2 Whole
- Cumin Seeds 2 Tbsp
- Coriander Seeds 1 Tbsp
- Cardamom Pods 12 Whole Pods
- Whole Cloves 1 Tsp
- Dried Bay Leaves 2 Whole
- Black Peppercorns 1 Tsp
- Salt 2 Tsp
- Chilli Powder 1 Tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds 1 Tbsp
- Red Saffron Threads 1 Tsp
- Whole Almonds 50g
- Whole Roasted Cashews 50g + Extra for serving
- Plain Yoghurt 3/4 Cup
- Chicken Breast Fillets 800g
- Lemon Juice 2 Tsp
- Taramind Paste 1 Tsp
- Brown Onion 2 Whole
- Garlic Cloves 4 Whole
- Whole Ginger 3cm x 2cm Piece (peeled)
- Whole Tomatoes 600g
- Ghee 2 Tbsp
- Tomato Paste 100g
- Red Chilli (Optional) 1 Long Whole
- Tandoori Paste 1 Tbsp
- Coconut Cream 200g
- Salt & Pepper To Season
Make the Spice Blend & Grind the Nuts
- Place the spices whole spices (Cinnamon quills, Cumin seeds, Coriander seeds, Cardamom Pods, Cloves, Pepper corns, Fenugreek Seeds and Saffron Threads) into a spice grinder, blender or Thermomix. Grind until smooth.
- Add the ground spices to the mix (ground chilli powder, salt) and mix until well combined. Set aside in a bowl.
- Grind the almonds and cashews until they are a meal consistency (like a course powder.) Set aside.
Marinade the Chicken
- Chop the chicken breast into bite size pieces, and place in a large bowl or container, season with salt & pepper.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the yoghurt, lemon juice, tamarind paste & 1/2 the spice mixture.
- Pour the yoghurt mixture over the chicken and marinade for 1.5 -2 hours in the fridge.
Create the rich sauce
- Mince the garlic cloves, ginger and whole chilli (if using).
- Dice the onions.
- Add the ghee to a large, deep pan and cook until melted and slightly sizzling.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chili & onion, along with the rest of the spice mix.
- Cook until fragrant and onions just transluscent.
- Add the tandoori paste and the nuts and stir through for a minute or so.
- When they have combined, add the marinating chicken/ yoghurt mixture.
- Put whole tomatoes in a food processor, blender, or thermomix and blend until chopped.
- Add the tomatoes to the chicken, with the tomato paste.
- Cook for approx 25 minutes.
- Check the seasoning level by tasting, add more salt & pepper if necessary.
- Add the coconut cream and cook for a further 20 minutes on low.
Serve with Basmati rice and roasted cashews on top.